Riverboat returns, bigger than ever

Riverboat 2017 returns with a rock wall, mechanical bull, food trucks and more

By Natalia Owen | August 31, 2017 9:26pm
img-2005
by Jeff Braccia / The Beacon

Voodoo Doughnuts, DJ Clint and a mechanical bull: all essential components of a memorable night. Campus Program Board (CPB) will host its fourth annual back-to-school bash, called Riverboat, after the men's soccer game this Friday at 9 p.m. at River Campus.

While many students see River Campus as a vacant lot, mainly used for parking overflow, social events play an important role in integrating the area into the University of Portland culture. 

“River campus used to be a sort of undeveloped plot of land, and the University has a goal of creating a kind of second campus down there, with the athletic fields, the parking lot and the boathouse,” CPB Advisor Tyler Zimmerman said. “Right now, it’s still mostly undeveloped.”

This stands as no obstacle to the festivities planned for Friday night. Zimmerman said that hardworking members of the Campus Program Board are what make Riverboat a success. 

“It started as sort of a collaboration between residence life and student activities,” Zimmerman said. “This year I think CPB has taken more of an active role in planning, promoting and building excitement…it has a lot more student voice than it had in the past.”

In addition to upbeat music, there will be a grilled cheese food truck, Voodoo doughnuts and carnival food from Bon Appetit. According to Zimmerman, all the food may be purchased using “river bucks.” These can be bought ahead of time at either the Bauccio Commons or the Pilot House with a student’s meal points or at Riverboat on Friday. ($10 = 10 river bucks)

CPB Director Jacque Nelson said that students, particularly freshmen, will have the opportunity to win “a couple free river bucks” at the activities fair on Friday at the CPB booth. 

The event will feature a rock wall, a mechanical bull, a photo booth in the actual riverboat, henna booth and a few carnival games including “high striker,” also known as the “hammer game,” where students can test their strength.

“I would say it’s a huge social and community-building opportunity,” Nelson said. “Riverboat is grounds for making new friends, meeting some new people, and for seniors, a sort of nostalgic opportunity to kick off their last year.”

Nelson recommends that freshmen be willing to put themselves out there this Friday. 

"Try something new," Nelson said. "Try something you maybe wouldn’t have done before. Even if that means just going to the event or trying to get to the top of the rock wall or riding the mechanical bull. Challenge yourself to be a little adventurous this Friday.”

Simply put, Nelson and Zimmerman both agreed that the most important thing students should bring are an open mind and close-toed shoes.