Voice Your Opinion
Have an opinion about something UP students care about or should care about? We want to hear from you! Please read our submission policy before you write in. The actual submission form is at the bottom of this page.
Beacon Submission Policy:
Letters to the Editor generally do not exceed 250 words. Those with longer opinions are encouraged to submit guest columns. Recommended length for guest columns is approximately 1,200 words.
The Beacon reserves the right to edit any contributions for length or style, and/or reject them for any reason without notification. The Beacon editor-in-chief has the final say in all publication decisions.
- WHO ARE YOU? All contributions must include the writer’s address, email address and phone number for verification purposes. University students must include their major and year in school.
- PHOTO REQUIRED: All contributions must include a photo of the author for the main photo.
- GROUP SUBMISSIONS:The Beacon does not accept submissions from a group unless the writer(s) are listed individually.
- FACTS MATTER. While opinions and feelings are subjective, any information a writer presents as fact to support or justify a position should generally be verifiable. Specifically, we ask writers to provide url links to attribute such information whenever possible, especially statistics.
Here is an example of how links appear as colored hyperlinks in a published piece. If you do not know how to make hyperlinks, please provide the url link next to the "fact" it supports or explains in the body of your piece. Beacon editors will make it a hyperlink, if needed.
- TONE MATTERS. The Beacon is committed to maintaining an atmosphere of respectful and responsible discussion.Don't be snide.
- ANONYMOUS SUBMISSIONS: It is The Beacon's policy to not publish anonymous submissions. There may be rare occasions when anonymity is appropriate. It will be up to the Beacon editor-in-chief to make that determination.
- The Beacon’s receipt of a submission does not guarantee publication.
BOTTOM LINE: Keep it classy, respectful and professional. This is our digital living room. No profanity, inflammatory name-calling or cheap shots. Do unto others, etc.
Final opinion submissions before the end of the 2019 school year are due by midnight on Wednesday, April 24, 2019.