Men's basketball's Chase Adams in self-quarantine after grandmother diagnosed with coronavirus

By Kyle Garcia | March 28, 2020 11:19am

Freshman Chase Adams is in self-quarantine after his grandmother tested positive for COVID-19.

Media Credit: Molly Lowney / The Beacon

University of Portland freshman guard Chase Adams announced on Friday that he is self-quarantining in his home in Chicago after his grandmother tested positive for COVID-19.

Chase’s grandmother, 82-year-old Juanita Adams, tested positive Friday for COVID-19 after being admitted to the hospital earlier this week. The family received the call on Friday morning that she was positive and her health was declining. She is currently on a ventilator in ICU.

Chase’s father Tony has also been isolated from Chase and four other family members after coming down with a dry cough. According to Chase, a shortage of testing kits in the state of Illinois means that Tony will not be tested until he becomes feverish or has compromised breathing. They will self-quarantine for two weeks.

Chase averaged 7.1 points and 3.9 rebounds per game in his first season on The Bluff. The 5-foot-7-inch guard started all but to two games for the Pilots this year.

You can read the whole statement here.

What's up everyone, I am forwarding this message to help inform people about the severity of the COVID-19 virus and how it is currently impacting my family. I am hoping this will encourage everyone to take this virus seriously and stay safe.

My 82-year old grandma, who resides in our family home, began complaining of having chills and coughing and saw a physician on Tuesday. She wasn't experiencing any of the known symptoms of the virus, so some preliminary tests were taken and she was told to monitor herself for a fever or breathing complications. On Wednesday, the results indicated severe dehydration with a low hemoglobin count and she was directed to the ER.

She had a fever of 102, was extremely fatigued and her breathing was impaired. At this point, she was tested for COVID-19 and they administered x-rays to her lungs, which determined she had pneumonia. My dad was immediately told that the results would be available within 48 hours, to bid his farewells to my grandma, and he was then ushered out of the hospital.

She was given IV fluids and antibiotics to combat the dehydration and the pneumonia. We kept in constant communication with the hospital on Thursday, as well as with my grandma. She was stabilized, resting well, her fever had dissipated, and she sounded stronger. They even told us she could possibly come home if the results were negative. On Friday at 9:30 a.m. we received a call from the hospital with her test results being positive for COVID-19 and that her health had declined. She was then taken to the ICU where she was intubated and placed on a ventilator. The medical personnel conveyed how critical she was, that it didn't look good for a person her age whose immune system has been compromised, along with the lung damage.

As of now, my dad has had to be totally isolated from the rest of the family after he acquired a dry cough. Since the state of Illinois has a shortage of test kits, they are not administering tests to those who have come in contact with the virus unless there is compromised breathing or one becomes feverish.

As for the rest of my family, which includes my mom, sister, cousin and elderly uncle; we were given instructions to self-quarantine for two weeks, sterilize our entire house, sanitize our hands frequently and drink plenty of warm fluids. 

Again, I'm asking everyone to take the necessary precautions to keep you and your family protected… be obedient, stay inside and continue to pray.

God bless,


Kyle Garcia is the Sports editor for The Beacon. He can be reached at