Elections guide: ASUP executive board candidates

By The Beacon | March 19, 2015 2:33pm
sammy-van-den-berg
Samantha van den Berg

President & Vice President

We are primarily concerned about three issues: First - the disconnect between ASUP and students. We are dedicated to developing a stronger relationship between students and senators by promoting events that are requested by students. Second - the rising cost of college. We are dedicated to ensuring that student’s voices are heard in regards to the ever-rising tuition bill, and expressing to the Board of Regents and the Administration that this is a concern of many students at the University of Portland, and across the nation. Third - creating a student center on campus so that the library remains a study space and the community atmosphere on campus can be further bolstered. We plan on achieving this goal by meeting with administration to determine the requirements for proposing changes in infrastructure.

We hope to build fruitful with administrators and faculty across campus in order to fulfill my campaign promises. I intend to help support a healthy community on campus by pushing for more funding to the health center, better support for sexual assault prevention, more mental health awareness programming and more field time for intramural and club sports.

As ASUP Executive Board members, our goals include building and maintaining an approachable environment that has the ability to effectively gather the needs and wants of the student body whilst assuring that those requests are resolved and/or answered. In listening to recent student concerns, it has become evident that a gap in communication has begun to space out the student voice and ASUP student government.

My goal as an Exec. Board Member is to maintain a cohesive working atmosphere for ASUP that will help energize and accomplish the goals of the associated students of the University of Portland.

Treasurer

Editor's note: In the March 19 print edition, The Beacon published the wrong platform for Treasurer candidate Bryan Chipman. The correct platform is below. The Beacon regrets the error. 

I want to increase communication between ASUP and the student body.  If elected as treasurer, I will make sure there is constant communication between myself and the clubs, so that they are getting the most out of their budgets and that their monies are being spent.

I want to increase the accountability of the Executive board as well as ASUP.  Students need to know that we are being responsible with their desires and acting on them, and I will ensure they know that their fees are being spent wisely.

My final goal would be to increase the transparency and involvement of ASUP and the Financial Management Board.  It is important that students are involved and know what is going on with their student government and Executive Board, and that their desires are being met.

My main goal is to obtain more money for clubs. We can do that through activities such as fundraising events and contacting donors. Not only that but I want clubs to have the funds to put on more events in order to increase the diversity of events available to students on campus. Not only that, I’m going to strongly encourage students to found new clubs and keep increasing diversity on campus.

I would like to make ASUP more relevant in the lives of students at the University of Portland. I want to have clubs spend 100% of their budget by the end of Spring Semester. I will use my position on the ASUP Executive Board to encourage student involvement on campus, particularly attendance to sporting events. I will ensure that the administration will be held accountable on their promises to students, and I will provide an outlet for students to voice their concerns and opinions to the University administration.

Secretary

My goal as an ASUP Executive Board Member is to help reshape ASUP to better serve the student body.  I plan on doing this by changing the way the secretary role functions.  I plan on reaching out to students in new and exciting ways that would really allow us, student government representatives, to better serve our constituents.  I also plan on reaching out to different groups of student leaders in order to better reach a larger body of students.  Additionally, I plan on focusing a lot of my energy on getting ASUP a strong social media presence and a more positive, fun, and exciting image.

As Secretary of the ASUP Executive Board, my goals would be to see the ASUP Exec Board updated to fit the current times and challenges on campus, as well as having the Secretary’s role changed and have more responsibilities and leadership. I would strive to improve our roles as leaders on this campus and help our students create a bigger impact through not only projects but also making sure that the students ideas are well communicated to both the administration and other representatives on campus. I would accomplish these goals through teamwork with the other Executive Board members and dedication to seeing things improve.

CPB Director

My goals as CPB Director on the ASUP Executive Board include working to continue CPB’s history of exciting and successful events, while also helping foster a seamless relationship between CPB, ASUP and the student body as possible. I think I’m in a unique position having been heavily involved in both CPB and ASUP, so I know the perspectives of both sides and will use that experience to better integrate their mission and express that to the student body. In CPB, we like to say that the students speak and we listen, so constantly evaluating ourselves and trying to plan best for the student body and always add to our events is really important to me. I really want to make sure our organization is connected with the community and helping contribute to it.

B