The Beacon will be updating this page regularly with new information pertaining to COVID-19 and campus operations at the University of Portland.
Updated Sept. 17 at 7:18 p.m.
COVID-19 Case Update: As of Sept. 12 the Pilots Prevent Dashboard shows:
- 3 reported positive cases for the week ending Sept. 12.
- 14 reported positive cases for the semester.
Updated Sept. 17 at 7:15 p.m.
COVID-19 Vaccination Update: As of Sept. 12 the Vaccination Dashboard shows:
- Of the students who provided their vaccination status to the University, 96.4% are fully vaccinated. 1% of UP students did not provide their vaccination status or request an exemption. UP granted 84 vaccine exemptions to students.
- Of the employees who provided their vaccination status to the University, 97.48% are fully vaccinated. Less than 1% of UP employees did not provide their vaccination status or request an exemption. UP granted 12 vaccine exemptions to students.
Updated Sept. 14 at 3:15 p.m.
COVID-19 Update: ASUP hosting COVID Q&A with Health Center
ASUP President Emma Fuller will be interviewing Associate Director of Primary Care Services Kaylin Soldat to address COVID-19 concerns on campus on Sept. 16 at 7 p.m.
The webinar will be over Zoom, and is open to all members of the UP community.
Updated Sept. 9 at 1:37 p.m.
COVID-19 Case Dashboard Update: As of Sept. 5, UP's Pilots Prevent COVID Dashboard shows:
- 2 positive cases reported for the week ending Sep. 5.
- 11 positive cases reported for the semester.
Unlike the previous dashboard, it does not indicate whether these cases are on or off-campus and whether these individuals are in quarantine or isolation.
Updated Sep. 9 at 1:30 p.m.
COVID-19 Vaccination Update: As of Sept. 5, UP's Pilots Prevent Vaccination Dashboard shows:
- 689 out of 713 employees fully vaccinated, or 96.63%, and 98.46% compliant with the policy. There have been 14 exemptions.
- 3,453 out of 3,581 students fully vaccinated, or 96.43%, and 98.74% compliant with the policy. There have been 83 exemptions.
Updated Sept. 6 at 5:49 p.m.
COVID-19 Vaccination Update: As UP hits Sept. 1 deadline, 94.34% of students, faculty and staff are vaccinated.
Students enrolled this fall had until Sept. 1 to provide proof of full vaccination or apply for an exemption, according to the Pilots Prevent website.
For the week ending Aug. 29, the Vaccination Dashboard shows:
- 689 out of 706 employees fully vaccinated, or 97.59%, and 99.58% compliant with the policy. There have been 14 exemptions.
- 3,360 out of 3,586 students fully vaccinated, or 93.7%, and 95.40% compliant with the policy. There have been 61 exemptions.
Students who do not get vaccinated or provide a reason for exemption will have a hold on their account, and be prohibited from attending in-person classes until their case is resolved through the student conduct process.
"Resolution through our conduct process could result in permanent separation from campus if the student still refuses to seek an exemption or become vaccinated," Vice President for Marketing and Communications Michael Lewellen said.
Updated Aug. 30 at 11:42 a.m.
Published Aug. 27 at 6:45 p.m.
COVID-19 Update: Pilots Prevent Case Dashboard will re-launch
As the Delta variant continues to change the landscape of the pandemic, UP will bring back its COVID-19 case dashboard, Acting President Herbert Medina said on Friday.
"Given the size of our community, cases of COVID-19 will occur," Medina said in an email. "Thanks to our contact tracing protocols, case counts are currently exceptionally low."
Medina reported that the University is aware of fewer than 10 cases. However, UP may be unaware of those who have not reported testing positive at an off-campus facility, who are asymptomatic or those having symptoms but not getting tested.
The reported cases are among on and off-campus students, according to Vice President for Marketing and Communications Michael Lewellen.
Students are asked to self-report positive COVID-19 cases through the Pilots Prevent website if they were not tested in the Health Center. There is no surveillance testing, and no plan has been made to bring it back.
Students who are vaccinated and exposed to COVID-19 are not required to quarantine if they are not experiencing symptoms.
Some current cases were diagnosed at the Health Center and others were diagnosed by off-campus healthcare providers and reported to the school, Lewellen said in an email. Known positive cases among faculty and staff are reported to Human Resources.
Updated Aug. 27 at 3:51 p.m.
Sports Update: Proof-of-vaccination required for off-campus students attending games
Starting Sept. 6, all off-campus students attending sports events will need to provide proof-of-vaccination, Acting President Herbert Medina announced on Friday.
UP is also considering the same requirement for other on-campus events with significant off-campus attendance, Medina said.
Updated Aug. 26 at 4:25 p.m.
COVID-19 Update: Students not compliant with vaccination policy will face consequences
Students who fail to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination or document a reason for exemption will not be allowed on campus, according to Vice President for Marketing and Communications Michael Lewellen.
All students must be compliant with the vaccination policy by Sept. 2.
"Students who are still unwilling to work with University staff to either seek an exemption or submit proof of vaccination will ultimately lose ID access and will be temporarily prohibited from campus until their case is resolved through the student conduct process," Lewellen said in an email.
Currently, 93% of students have submitted their vaccination status or reason for exemption, leaving 252 students who are not compliant.
UP is willing to work with students individually who may be having trouble with the vaccination process, according to Lewellen.
Updated Aug. 26 at 4:08 p.m.
COVID-19 Vaccination Update: Vaccination dashboard shows percent of students, faculty and staff fully vaccinated
The University's Pilots Prevent Vaccination Dashboard has been updated to show the percent of students, faculty and staff who are fully vaccinated. The change was made Aug. 25.
The previous dashboard only showed the percentage of people compliant with UP's policy, which included individuals with vaccine exemptions.
For the week ending Aug. 22, the Vaccination Dashboard shows:
- 689 out of 706 employees fully vaccinated, or 97.59%, and 99.58% compliant with the policy.
- 3,296 out of 3,609 students fully vaccinated, or 91.33%, and 93.02% compliant with the policy.
Austin De Dios is the Editor-in-Chief of The Beacon. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.