The OSAA 6A tournament has been canceled after previously being set to continue without spectators. This comes after Governor Kate Brown announced a ban on gatherings of 250 people or more on Wednesday morning.
In addition to canceling Class 5A and Class 4A tournaments, the OSAA announced that it would move to cancel the Class 6A tournament on its website at 11:30 a.m. Thursday, March 12. OSAA Executive Director Peter Weber addressed the decision to cancel in a press release this morning.
“As this unprecedented public health emergency continues to evolve, we believe that the responsibility to our member schools and communities regarding the health and safety of participants remains our highest priority," Weber said.
Before the cancellation, the tournament was to continue with only essential personnel present, including event staff and media. An increased amount of sanitation stations had been added around Chiles Center in anticipation of the event.
Sporting events across the country are being canceled amidst COVID-19. The NCAA canceled its tournament this afternoon, and the NBA suspended play when a Utah Jazz player was tested positive. In light of these cancellations, the OSAA followed suit.
The OSAA said it would soon have updates on contests that were scheduled to begin next week.
Ana Clyde is the senior sports reporter and copy editor for The Beacon. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.