Washington State Cowlitz County sheriff’s deputy Justin Richard DeRosier was killed in the line of duty on April 14, 2019. He was 29 years old.
Justin was born in Kailua, Hawaii, on January 28, 1990, to parents Neil and Kelly DeRosier. He had one sister named Jenna DeRosier, who was his best friend. Justin left behind his lovely wife Katherine Anne “Katie” (Smart) whom he married to two and a half years ago and their six-month old daughter, Lillian Naomi, whom he adored.
Justin DeRosier’s funeral service was held on April 24, 2019 at 1:00 p.m. in the Earle A. & Virginia H. Chile’s Center at University of Portland.
Justin’s story is heartbreaking beyond words. It reminds us the reality of how incredibly delicate and fragile our lives are. Anything can happen to anyone of us in the blink of an eye.
I wanted to do something for Justin to express my sincere appreciation of his genuine commitment to serve as a law enforcement officer to protect us and make our lives safer.
To achieve this goal, I looked into Justin’s birthday numbers and constructed the following birthday curiosities in his honor:
1. Justin’s 29th birthday in 2019 expressed as 1/28/19 was special because 29 equals the sum of 1 and 28, the month and day numbers of his birthdate.
2. Further, the sum of the digits of 12819 equals 21 and coincidentally, there are 21 letters in Justin Richard DeRosier.
3. Moreover, if 2019 is split as 20 and 19, the sum of 20 and 19 equals 39, the prime factors of 39, namely 3 and 13, differ by 10 and the 10th prime number is 29.
4. Additionally, the reverse of 39 is 93 and if numbers 1 to 26 are assigned to letters A to Z, 93 equals the sum of the letter numbers of Justin as well as the sum of the letter numbers of DeRosier respectively.
5. Justin’s 28th birthday last year was also special because his birthday always occurs on the 28th day of each year. Also, 28 equals the difference of the prime factors of 93 (Justin & DeRosier), namely 3 and 31.
6. Justin’s 27th birthday in 2017 was special too since 1 and 28 differ by 27. Also, the product of the digits of 93 yields 27.
7. Justin’s 30th birthday to occur next year will also be special because 30 equals the sum of the digits of his birthdate expressed as 1/28/1990.
8. Justin’s 31st birthday in 2021 will be special too because if 2021 is split as 20 and 21, the sum of 20 and 21 equals 41, 41 is the 13th prime number, and the reverse of 13 is 31.
9. Justin’s 32nd birthday in 2022 will also be special since the sum of the letter numbers of Justin Richard DeRosier equals 247 and the sum of the prime factors of 247, namely 13 and 19, equals 32.
10. Justin’s 33rd birthday on 1/28/23 will be special too since twice the sum of the prime factors of 33, namely 3 and 11, equals 28 and again, note that Justin’s birthday always falls on the 28th day of each year.
11. Justin’s 34th birthday to occur in 2024 will also be special since the sum of the prime factors of 93 (Justin & DeRosier), namely 3 and 31, equals 34.
12. Justin’s 35th birthday in 2025 will be special too since the sum of the squares of the digits of 35 also yields 34.
13. Justin’s 36th birthday in 2026 will be special since the sum of the letters numbers of Justin DeRosier equals 186 and the sum of the prime factors of 186, namely 2, 3, and 31, yields 36.
14. Justin’s 37th birthday expressed as 1/28/27 will be special too since 1 plus 27 equals 28.
15. Justin’s 38th birthday in 2028 will also be special since the sum of the prime factors of 38, namely 2 and 19, result in 21 and again, Justin Richard DeRosier contains 21 letters. Additionally, the sum of the squares of the digits of 38 equals 73 and interestingly, 73 is the 21st prime number.
16. Justin’s 39th birthday expressed as 1/28/29 will be special too since 1 plus 28 yields 29. Further, 39 is the reverse of 93 (Justin & DeRosier).
17. To find Justin’s new age in any year 20AB in this century, simply add 10 to the rightmost two digits of 20AB, namely (10A+B). For example, Justin’s new age in 2048 will be 10 plus 48 which equals 58. Note that 10 in this formula signifies the 10th prime number which is 29 and again, 29 equals 1 plus 28, the month and day numbers of Justin’s birthdate.
18. Justin’s 58th birthday expressed as 1/28/2048 will be special too since 58 is twice 29 and 29 equals 1 plus 28.
19. Further, the difference of the squares of the digits of 58 equals 39 and the reverse of 39 is 93 (Justin & DeRosier).
20. Lastly, if Justin’s 58th birthday, 1/28/2048, is split into 128 and 2048, interestingly, 128 equals 2^7 and 2048 is 2^11 respectively.
I hope you rest in peace Justin.
Aziz Inan is chair and professor teaching in the electrical engineering program of Donald P. Shiley School of Engineering at University of Portland and he can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.