Beacon finalist for national award

By The Beacon | September 12, 2013 1:00am
999055_10151524335193321_26384736_n

By Sarah Hansell |

The Beacon is a finalist for the 2013 Associated Collegiate Press Pacemaker award for college newspapers, a national award that’s been given out for 86 years and is widely considered to be the most prestigious award in college media.

There are 22 colleges and universities whose student newspapers are finalists in the non-daily category. They include Massachusetts Institute of Technology,  Boston College, George Washington University, University of Oregon, Wake Forest University, Johns Hopkins University and Washington University in St. Louis.

“The Pacemaker puts The Beacon in a very prestigious category with a lot of schools whose newspapers no doubt have more resources than The Beacon,” Editor-in-Chief Kelsey Thomas said.

According to the Associated Collegiate Press, the staff of the Miami Herald judged this year’s entries on the following criteria: coverage and content, quality of writing and reporting, leadership on the opinion page, evidence of in-depth reporting, layout and design and photography, art and graphics.

Past winners of the Pacemaker award in the non-daily category include student newspapers from the University of Chicago, Boston College, Washington University, Santa Clara University and San Francisco State University.

The Associated Collegiate Press will announce this year’s winners at its convention in New Orleans on Oct. 26.

“We’re very honored and excited that all our hard work is being recognized,” Thomas said.

B