A history of women at UP
Cassie Sheridan |
On January 24, 1951, the University of Portland opened the campus to women officially making the University fully co-educational. There were no female dorms, no female administrators, and very few female role models. It was the beginning of the 50s, a time when women historically attended universities to gain their Mrs. degree. By 1964 however, the female population would make up 40 percent of the student body. Today there are co-ed residence halls, over 50 percent female enrollment, and a huge amount of women excelling academically. To celebrate women’s history month, The Beacon put together a timeline of women at UP to see just how far women have come since their invitation to The Bluff 63 years ago.