Students: The Beacon is your voice

By The Beacon | August 28, 2013 11:51pm
img-8972

By Kelsey Thomas, Editor-in-Chief

To the class of 2017 – welcome to The Bluff! We’re excited to meet you.  Everyone else, we’re excited to have you back.

As you embark on your fifth Freddy’s run of the week, the Beacon staff will be settling back into our regular schedule of bringing you engaging, reliable and fun news every Thursday.  Although we will continue to be your number one source for quality campus news, there are some changes ahead for The Beacon.

While we love our print issue, we know it’s a little 1999, and we have big plans for keeping you up-to-date online all the time. Check out our new website at upbeacon.com and remember to follow us on Twitter @UPBeacon and like us on Facebook. We will be updating more frequently throughout the week.

Although we’re the ones foregoing our social lives for interviews, photo shoots and production nights, this is your paper, not ours.  We want to hear what you think!

Passionate about an issue on campus? Submit an opinion piece. Think we totally missed the mark with our last editorial? Write a letter to the editor and tell us why. Snap an amazing picture on campus or have a great story idea? Send it to us at beacon@up.edu. Just want to share your thoughts on a recent article? Tweet at us. We promise we read every email, tweet, Facebook message and smoke signal sent to us.

Feel free to visit us in St. Mary’s or email me personally at Thomask15@up.edu. As your editor-in-chief, I always welcome your thoughts, suggestions and corrections. While we always do our best to be accurate, sometimes we might mess up. Just let us know. We promise we’ll own up to it every time.

If an occasional opinion piece or tweet is not enough to satiate your journalism desires, jump in and apply for staff! We look forward to receiving your applications, whether you’re a fresh-from-orientation freshman or a seasoned senior.  You don’t even have to be a communication or English major.

As for the rest of you, we hope you’ll enjoy reading The Beacon this year. We strive to carry the campus conversation, but it’s hard to do that all by ourselves. We need you. So Portland Pilots, welcome to the 2013-2014 year of The Beacon. We can’t wait to meet you.

Kelsey Thomas is a senior English major. She can be reached at Thomask15@up.edu. Follow her on Twitter.