'Hunting Ground' documentary about campus sexual assault to be shown Thursday evening

By Haley Grant | October 5, 2017 10:41am
img-6851

Last year's showing of Hunting Ground included a discussion after the film.

Media Credit: Kayli Gribi / The Beacon

For the second year, ASUP, Students Against Sexual Assault, or SASA, and the Health and Counseling Center will host a screening of the film “The Hunting Ground,” followed by a panel discussing sexual assault and campus life at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 5 in Buckley Center Auditorium. 

The film, which was first presented at the Sundance Film Festival, is about sexual assault on college campuses and in particular deals with Title IX.

The Facebook event posted by the hosting groups describes the screening: “We understand this subject is very controversial, but it so important to bring awareness to as it plagues so many campuses across the country, including our own.” 

The panel discussion after the screening will include panelists Tiger Simpson, wellness education and prevention program coordinator, Sarah Meiser, associate director for community standards, and Fawn Livingston-Gray, Call To Safety advocate. Sherman, current SASA president, will provide a student voice on the panel.

“You could go to just the movie or just the panel,” Abby Sherman, president of SASA, said. “But we encourage both.” 

Students are welcome to ask questions at any time during the discussion, but if they are uncomfortable doing so publically, note cards will be handed out to attendees to ask their questions anonymously, according to Maddie Hansen, SASA co-founder. 

“I want students to know that this is a conversation that we continue having throughout the year, and throughout their years at UP,” Sherman said. “This is not something that just is jumbled in with the need-to-know freshman orientation, this is need-to-know as a student at UP. 

All students are welcome to attend the free event, and pizza, drinks and popcorn will be provided.